- 91% of search engine users say they always or most of the time find the information they are seeking when they use search engines.
- 73% of search engine users say that most or all the information they find as they use search engines is accurate and trustworthy
- 66% of search engine users say search engines are a fair and unbiased source of information
- 55% of search engine users say that, in their experience, the quality of search results is getting better over time, while just 4% say it has gotten worse
- 52% of search engine users say search engine results have gotten more relevant and useful over time, while just 7% report that results have gotten less relevant
Most internet users say they do not know how to limit the information that is collected about them by a website
Overall, search users are confident in their abilities
Most search users say they are confident in their own search abilities, and find what they are looking for most of the time. More than half of search users (56%) say they are very confident in their search abilities, while only 6% say they are not too or not all confident. And the vast majority of search users report being able to find what they are looking for always (29%) or most of the time (62%).
Positive search experiences are more common than negative experiences
Asked about different experiences they have had using search engines, more users report positive experiences than negative. They said in their use of search engines they had:
- learned something new or important that really helped them or increased their knowledge (86% of search users have had this experience)
- found a really obscure fact or piece of information they thought they would not be able to find (50%)
- gotten conflicting information in search results and not been able to figure out what is correct (41%)
- gotten so much information in a set of results that you feel overwhelmed (38%)
- found that critical information is missing from search results (34%)
Google continues to be the most popular search engine, by a wide margin
Google continues to dominate the list of most used search engines. Asked which search engine they use most often, 83% of search users say Google. The next most cited search engine is Yahoo, mentioned by just 6% of search users. When we last asked this question in 2004, the gap between Google and Yahoo was much narrower, with 47% of search users saying Google was their engine of choice and 26% citing Yahoo.